The Garden of Morning Calm, a 30,000㎡ garden, is open year-round and is a great spot to visit for families, couples, and photographers alike. The Garden of Morning Calm is the brain child of Han Sang-kyung, who was a professor at Sahmyook University. His vision for the garden was that it would become world-famous and spread the concept of the beauty of Korea throughout the world.
The garden is the oldest private garden in Korea. It is an artistic space with a beautiful balance between the Korean concept of natural curves with asymmetry, and plants with synthetic materials, attracting about 600,000 visitors annually.
The garden’s different themed sections are connected by scenic walkways, beautifully manicured grass, and flower beds. The Sukgeun Garden, which is shaped like the Korean Peninsula, represents the desire for South and North Korea to be reunited. It is one of the most popular and meaningful attractions at the garden.
The garden houses about 5,000 kinds of plants, including 300 varieties native to Baekdusan Mountain, known as a spiritual mountain to the Korean people. Flowers are in bloom from March to November, so the garden is usually busy during this period. In addition to the beautiful foliage of the garden, there are a variety of festivals and displays held throughout the year.
One of the most popular times to visit The Garden of Morning Calm is during the Winter Light Festival. The garden is lit up with 30,000 lights during the evening from December to March.
* Spring: Spring Garden Festival
* Summer: Festival of Roses, Hydrangeas and Roses of Sharon
* Autumn: Festival of Chrysanthemums and Autumnal Tints
* Winter: Lighting Festival
Popular nearby, compatible sites for a private tour in Gyeonggi-do:
Garden of Morning Calm
Gangchon Rail Bike
432, Sumogwon-ro, Sang-myeon, Gapyeong-gun, Gyeonggi-do
경기도 가평군 상면 수목원로 432 (상면)
N/A (Open year-round)
* Saturdays open until 23:00.
* Last admission is one hour before closing.
Adults: Weekends · Public Holidays 9,000 won / Discount (Weekdays) 8,000 won
Teenagers: Weekends · Public Holidays 6,500 won / Discount (Weekdays) 6,000 won
Children: Weekends · Public Holidays 5,500 won / Discount (Weekdays) 5,000 won
Adults: Weekdays 7,000 won
Teenagers: Weekdays 5,000 won
Children: Weekdays 4,000 won
* Groups of 30 people during weekdays only. (Reservations must be made at +82-1544-6703)
* Children (ages 3 to elementary school students) / Teenagers (middle and high school students)
* Discount is available for Seniors (ages 65 or more), people with disabilities, local residents (ID required)